One of the best ways to reward your children during the summer vacation is having them enrolled for summer camp. Summer camp provides a relaxing and enriching environment for these children – which is all that they need after the long and tiring school programs. Discussed below are some of the benefits, and reasons your child should attend summer camp as well.
Benefits of Summer Camp to Children
1. Building friendship and social skills: Summer camp enables children to overcome an anti-socialbehavior and be able to interact and socialize with other peers in the camp. One of the best things about summer camp is that the attendees come from all corners of the state, which means they can make real friends while in the camp. This is unlike letting your child stay up in the house playing video games and chatting online with ‘virtual’ friends.
2. Build their self-esteem, confidence, and resilience: Children learn and develop risk-taking, boost self-esteem and learn basic conflict resolution skills that will help them later in life. Most of the people or summer camp alumni do not have any anti-social behaviors and can interact with almost anyone regardless of the age gap. Although disagreements may erupt in summer camps – these little angels learn how to resolve their differences and work together as a team. This is more than their teachers nor parents can teach.
3. Learning leadership values and overcoming nature deficit disorders: Most people lack/miss the bond with nature as they spend most of their lives in the house with their smartphones or playing video games. This leads to the development of nature deficit disorder – meaning the child doesn’t know the value of going outdoors and caring for the environment. Nonetheless, summer camp enables these angels to understand the importance of nature and how it is vital for their survival:
In addition to this, children start developing leadership and proper decision-making skills while at summer camp. The children get to understand the importance of teamwork while dealing with a challenging task, as well as know when to allow others to lead or take leadership when needed.
Some of these lessons cannot be taught in school, which is the reason why you should let your child learn from his/her peers – in summer camp. It is also for this reason you should be careful when choosing a summer camp for your child/children. Discussed below are a few tips on how to choose a summer camp retreat.
Choosing the Right Summer Camp for Your Child/Children
1. Engage your children: Although you want the best for your children, it would be advisable to ask them how or where they want to go to summer camp. You will be amazed at how knowledgeable these children are on this. It is after they have given you their ideas that you can start looking into the same.
2. Consider the camp’ focus: Some of the most common activities in camps include archery, swimming, arts and craft, music, sports, and team building activities. Every child has specific interests, which is why you should consider their interests when shopping for or paying for a summer camp. Some camps may run for a day while others could last up to a week. Make the best choice for your child based on age, interests, and preferences.
3. Research on various camping sites: Most parents arrange summer camps for their children every summer. If you are considering a local camp, then contact local organizers for the same and see what they have to offer. Some of the factors you should consider when choosing a camp include the staff, how the staff is trained, experience, return rate, and camper to counselor ratio among other factors. Once you have narrowed down on the best and most appropriate camping site for your child, you should then take some time to meet the camp family or organizers. Address any special needs that your child might have to the counselors before leaving him/her to their care.