One of the main reasons for attending a summer camp is because there are natural lakes and man-made swimming pools available. Summer camp swimming lessons are essential because you must know how to swim to protect yourself when a boat tips over or if you accidentally fall into a swimming pool.
Types of Popular Summer Camp Swimming Strokes
There are numerous types of swimming strokes that you can learn at summer camp, including:
• Butterfly stroke
• Dog paddle
• Turtle stroke
• Dolphin crawl
• Underwater strokes
Great Benefits from Swimming at Summer Camp
Swimming while at camp will keep you cool in addition to increasing the strength of your muscles. If you are overweight, then swimming can help you to lose weight without damaging your joints. If you are having problems sleeping at night because you are homesick, then swimming will make you tired so that you will sleep deeply.
Swimming at summer camp is enjoyed outside during the day, and this activity will expose you to sunlight to increase your body’s vitamin D levels. Having higher vitamin D levels is an excellent way to improve your mental mood while increasing your physical energy.
Fun Water Activities at Summer Camp
Playing water games at summer camp is a lot of fun, and there are several games that involve two or more players, including:
• Sharks and minnows – one player tries to capture the other swimmers
• Marco Polo – a water game like playing tag
• Gator – one player tries to capture swimmers as they swim across the pool
• Fish out of water – involves swimming above and below the water
• Chicken fight – players ride piggyback trying to push other swimmers into the pool
• Water aerobics – exercising while standing in the water
• Synchronized swimming – swimming in unison with a partner or a team
• Diving – learning how to dive into a swimming pool
• Synchronized diving – two individuals diving from two boards in unison
• Water polo – a game using a net and ball similar to volleyball
• Underwater football – a two team sport requiring snorkeling gear
Win Trophies or Ribbons in Swimming Competitions
Summer camp swimming competitions will typically take place during the last few days of your stay or when your family is visiting. The counselors will have a variety of competitions for beginning or advanced swimmers so that everyone gets a chance to participate. There are often different swimming competition categories for each age group. Some of the competitions will involve swimming laps quickly while others will involve swimming while using the proper form. Most camp counselors make sure that each camper receives at least one trophy or ribbon to remember their summer camp adventure.